Monday, April 27, 2009

My mother's karipap recipe


most karipap recipes use curry powder, hence the name. however, my late mother decided to make some changes and used terengganu kurma powder instead. the result? a fragrant and mild tasting karipap, suited for those who do not favour the overpowering curry taste. i used to remember when i was in form 2 returning to SSP after 2 weeks of leave due to chicken pox, my mother made probably around 100 karipaps for my siblings and they smelled heavenly on the plane.

unfortunately though, i can't give the full scale recipe as i like to throw things without measuring them.

pastry

all-purpose flour
butter (my mother used to put some ghee which smells and tastes delicious!)
water
a pinch of salt

mix all and knead until the dough becomes smooth

filling

beef, cubed
potatoes, cubed
shallots, chopped
some kurma powder (use terengganu kurma powder and not the white kurma powder found in most stores)
salt

heat some oil. mix ingredients in a pan and cook for awhile.

roll the dough and use a round cutter. fill in the filling and seal the edges by crimping. a few years ago, my mother made the filling and it was up to me and my niece nana to do the rest. being true gourmand eaters, nana and i made the biggest karipap - probably the size of two palms held together. those were the days *sigh*

No comments: